The weather is getting colder, the jumpers are out and it’s starting to get dark by 6pm. Winter is coming and I am living for it. For me, one of the best parts about the colder months is spending a cosy winter night in on the sofa, binge-watching a Netflix series with a never ending stream of cups of tea and chocolate. Winter is also the perfect time to play hostess. Let’s be honest, no one wants to get all dressed up and head out in the cold to socialise; a winter night in is most definitely the way forward.
When the guys over at Dunelm kindly sent me a set of their gin glasses and one of their gin kits it got me firmly in the mood to start party planning. Just because it’s getting a bit chilly outside doesn’t mean you need to sack off all social plans so why not invite your pals round for the ultimate girls night in. And the best part? You don’t even need to change out of your PJ’s! Here’s my top tips for being the hostess with the mostess…
- Get the snacks in. No winter night in is complete without a serious snack selection. Another option is to ask each guest to bring one dish with them meaning you’ll end up with your very own dinner party buffet. Make sure you offer some guidance though otherwise you might end up with 6 cheesecakes and nothing else. Although I’m not sure that’s actually a bad thing…
- Get mixing! One of the perks about going out is the abundance of fancy cocktails on offer. Let’s be honest, none of us are happy unless our drink comes with a sparkler, umbrella and preferably playing a song these days. The good news however is that with one of Dunelm’s gin kits you can make the fancy drinks in your own kitchen. This kit came with a handy little recipe book full of fancy gin cocktails as well as some flavourings to make your gin taste fruity and fancy. Get everyone in the kitchen and get mixing your own drinks, you could even hold a competition to see who is the best mixologist of the bunch.
- Dig the games out. Winter is board games season if you ask me. If you’re looking for a quality entertainment option then dig out your favourite board games and get playing. Although I’m a sucker for a classic you can’t beat a card/drinking game when you’ve got all of your mates together. A new addition to my collection is What Do You Meme?- the ultimate 2018 game which is sure to provide some ultimate lols.
4. Make sure you’ve got enough blankets to go round. OK so blankets aren’t normally a staple of a good social shindig but it’s cold outside and if you want your guests to feel at home then digging out your finest winter warmers is the perfect way to make sure you all rest assured that opting for a winter night in was most definitely the right choice.
5. Print off your WiFi code. Let’s be honest, the first thing we all want to know when we go to our mates is the WiFi password. Print it out and hang it up for when your pals arrive so they can all connect automatically and can get boomeranging to their heart's content.
As the ultimate autumn/winter lover I’m so ready for winter nights in spent cuddled up on the sofa and I can’t wait to have all the girls round for a cosy night in. Now I just need to navigate the group chat to find a night we’re all free...which let’s be honest is a mission in itself. Yikes.
Do you have any tips for the ultimate winter night in? If so, let me know in the comments or over on Twitter.
The glasses and gin kit featured in this post were kindly sent to me by Dunelm but all opinions are my own.